The weirdest thing I EVER saw!!!!

Go ahead, ask me 20 questions about what this is.........This is about the weirdest thing I EVER saw (so far). Today I was walking through the shop and discovered this weird smell. As I walked farther in the shop, R.J. and Conrad were in the shop boiling the stuff in this picture. Come to find out, it is walrus penis. Yes, I was as shocked as you are. Aparently, if you boil the foreskin and the muscle off, you can carve on the bone. There is actually a bone on the inside.
It is funny that I actually got to see this because Pete gave me a book before I left, "Alaska for Dummies." In this book, there is a section entitled "speaking Eskimo." One of the words to know is uuguk - said oh chuk. (in the book it is spelled oosik) The reason for the difference in the word is because there are different dialects among different groups of Alaskan Natives. I live amongst Central Yupik people. There are also Siberian Yupik, Athabascan, Inupiat, Tlingit, Hida and Aleut.
At any rate, newcomers are sometimes offered this to eat and if they partake, they are of course made fun of. Good thing I know what it is and what it looks like so I won't eat it.
Oh, I thought I should also inform all of you back home that I have also eaten boiled Seal meat a few weeks ago. It was much fishier than I exoected and was hard swallow all of it.

1 Comments:
Hi Jodi~ i found your blog because I was interested in refreshing my memories of Eskimo Baseball. Thanks. As we played up in Buckland, (where I taught school for a few years back in the early 80s), the entire team runs as a unit, although not holding hands. We especially enjoyed it on those extra long summer evenings, and the fact that no one was just sitting on the bench, waiting. Although I never had the privilege to see an oosik, I was honored in going on the annual beluga harvest and participated in an ugruk hunt.
Like you, have a lifetime of memories.
Cheers~
Nancy
Post a Comment
<< Home