Jodi's Alaskan Trails

My time in "bush" Alaska has proven to be fun, exciting and a learning experience all at the same time. Here are a few journallings of what I have been doing the last few years.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Land of the midnight Sun...and Moon


Believe it or not, I took these pictures at 10 pm on Sunday, one right after another!

First, I noticed the moon was still out and you can kind of see it in this picture.








Then I turned around and noticed you could still see the sun over Stuart Island. The 2 pictures below are of course side by side to make a panoramic view of what I would see if I had an ocean view apartment. The days are definetly longer but not necessarily warmer. The sun is starting to be out around 8am and it sets around 10pm. I am not sure if we are still getting 6more minutes every day still but my guess is that we are.
















We have had warm enough weather for snow then rain and then some melting. This picture is walking back from the beach to the school. My apartment is the white building on the left and the school is the big brown building in front. On the right is another staff housing.

As you can see by the Honda on the right, there is a bit of snow left (it is parked up on a hill). And, if you look right in front of my apartment steps, you will notice a puddle of water, that was starting to re-freeze for the night. Today, most of the snow on the top of the school also melted off so the ramp from my building to the school was pretty wet but a nice shower.

Speaking of showers, about a week ago, we were put on alert.....WE ARE RUNNING OUT OF WATER...CONSERVE!!! The city tank was running low and we were asked to use as little water as possible. Thanks to the city workers, we now have a full tank of water again. They spent a whole week driving back and forth with big water trucks to Clear Lakes to pump water and refill our tank. Thanks also to mom or Tracy who sent me a bottle of water....just in case.

I should be home May 21st around 2 in the afternoon....Look out MN here I come!! You will have to give me a week to get used to the time change...Joy, you are 3 hours ahead of me NOT behind me in time....then I will have to get around to see everyone....Until then.........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home