Jodi's Alaskan Trails

My time in "bush" Alaska has proven to be fun, exciting and a learning experience all at the same time. Here are a few journallings of what I have been doing the last few years.

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Halloween, Wrestlin', Carnival, 4-wheelin' and Fiddlin'

What do all of these have in common you ask??? Nothing, it is just all of the exciting activities from last week.

Monday, as you know was Halloween. I live in a building that has 5 apartments in it so we all got together and sat at the end of the hallway to pass out candy together. We started at 5:30 and went til about 7:30. After Trick-or-Treating, there was Silly Native Dancing at the hall. The kids were allowed to dance to the native music in their Halloween costumes and they were not required to dance correctly or to have done their First Dance. At the end, they picked costume winners. There was 1st, 2nd, cutest, ugliest and most dancing. All of the winners were female students even though we all thought they were boys until they took off their costumes.
Above: Anna looked pretty scary in her costume and even won a prize.
Above: Believe it or not, that was a girl dressed up in the scary white coat and mask. Camile is in 3rd Grade and also won a prize for her costume.
This is a picture of all the kids who were dressed up and allowed to dance silly to the Yupik songs.

Wednesday was the annual school carnival. All of the teachers had a game booth set up in the gym. At 5:00pm, one of the teachers and the senior class opened the concessions and served burgers, pizza and many other things. Nick and Janna sold tickets for the carnival and then at 6:00pm we opened the doors to the carnival. There were so many people in the gym it was ridiculous. There were 3 raffle items that all ended up belonging to students. The prizes were a TV, DVD/VCR player and a stereo. I did the dart toss and took in 230 tickets which translates to 690 darts thrown that I had to pick up off of the floor. Man was I sore the next morning.
The Senior/Elder CakeWalk

I am showing my school spirit in the maroon and gold pom pom head-dress.

The bean bag toss game.


Friday was the wrestling tournament. It was supposed to be between Stebbins and Diomede. Unfortunately due to the weather, Diomede could not get off "The Rock" (the island they live on). So, we had St. Michael come over for the tournament. I was minding my own business when I got volunteered to do the announcing for ALL of the matches. There were about 30 matches. How do I always get volunteered?
Our wrestlers and cheerleaders getting ready for the matches to come.

Our cheerleaders practicing their routine for the cheerleading competition.

Saturday, quite a few of the teacher went for a Honda ride to St. Michael to go to the AC store which is cheaper than the store here and bigger. It was a beautiful ride over but on the way back, it got windy and snowy. It was a little harder to see with the snow blowing everywhere, but we made it. It is very humorous to see the people here all dressed up to ride Honda or snowmachine. One of these days I will have someone take a picture of me so everyone at home can see although you won't know for sure if it is me.

Saturday night, there was a fiddlin at the hall. More details about this after it happens!!! Sorry, no details.....it never happened due to an issue with the band.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home