Jodi's Alaskan Trails

My time in "bush" Alaska has proven to be fun, exciting and a learning experience all at the same time. Here are a few journallings of what I have been doing the last few years.

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Man do I have a fish story to tell YOU!!!!!!

I Flew in to Anchorage on July 25th after being dropped off at the airport by mom, Ed, Tracy and Candi. Drew Larrabee and Candy Pete picked me up in Anchorage where we did some shopping and we hung out a bit. Then, on the 27th, we flew on Hageland Avation from Anchorage to St. Michael. We dropped off Drew and Candi's things then they brought me to Stebbins to drop off my things. After I finally found my honda key, I went for a ride resulting in being attacked by 8 girls who all jumped on my honda. We drove around for a while and then I dropped them off. Sarah, Michelle, Charlene, Natalia, Alicia, Leah, Kaylene and Jacki were all on the honda with ME. Michelle took this picture so you can't see her. I spent a bit of time with Marlene and Kellen and their children, Joycelyn, Avern and Sweetie Pie (Celeste). Sweetie and I went for a walk on the beach to admire the beautiful sunset and to skip some rocks. We stayed out for a long time. We were joined on the beach by some other kids who played with us for a while until curfew when they had to go home. It is sunsets like these that make me so thankful I live here. We also saw some fish nets that were FULL of fish so we watched the fish jump around for a while too.










On Sunday August 6th several of the teachers and paraprofessionals headed to Unalakleet for a week of training with David Langford to learn about tools to use in the classroom to increase student acheivement. Desiree' and I got to go for a boat ride. I had to laugh at how they dock their boats in Unalakleet.....YES, that is a honda pulling the boat.


We had fun at the school too once the new teachers came. Ben taught some new-bees how to play spoons and they were instantly hooked.
When it was time to leave, Damon, Heidi, Desiree', Anna and I got into the 207 with all of our stuff and the plane tipped backwards, SOOOO we had to leave some of our stuff in Unalakleet to be sent home on the flight with Tracie. We did get all of our stuff safe and sound.









Friday Aug 11th, Roseann an elder here in Stebbins let us check her net and take her fish. We got about 25 fish. On Saturday, Ward (another teacher who live in the village) let us check his net. Damon told us we would get about 8. As you can see by the picture, there were MANY MORE than 8. There were probably about 30-40. We cleaned fish until midnight. It was fun though. It was fun for Damon, Heidi and I being the pioneers in the 'process' for cleaning and freezing the fish. It was a little different than last year, but it worked. Becky touched her first fish!!!!!!! Yeah BECKY!!! I found the fish that was stuck the worst to try to get out and then got bit by the big fish that was still alive and not very happy he was in the net. (see the pictuer of me with the BIG FISH) We saved some fish heads for Roseann to make fish head soup and Desiree' came to get fish eggs out of the female bellies. 2 things I probably will not try but if I do, I will let you know. Monday, we leave again for another week in Unalakleet and more training. There will be about 300+ people in the Unalakleet school. It should prove to be interesting. Sunday before we leave, the community is doing a welcome to Stebbins dance, where they will do Eskimo dancing at the hall to welcome the new teacher and the returning teachers. It is always a good time.
Remember, I am doing my first dance this year. It will be the second weekend in March. Any more gifts I can give away that represent Minnesota would be appreciated. Any furs would be the best. Roseanne gave me my Yupik name it is ilaliungkerlli, don't try to sound it out, it mean 'friendly' in English. When I talk to you on the phone, I will try to tell you what it is, I am still trying to pronounce it correctly!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Where's Tracy? said...

Props to my awesome sister!!! Seriously Jod I am so stoked that you moved up there and that you are doing so many awesome things! Friendly is an exceptional name for you....and yeah, I did try to sound it out. :) I am super jealous of all the cultural things you get to experience, my mission trips are great, but nothing like what you're experiencing. I am going to budget tomorrow and see if I can live on one paycheck a month and save the rest to come up and see your first dance!!! Oh and could you email me and let me know again what I was supposed to send you? I cant remember how much money you got refunded on that stuff I took back to Walmart so I will just buy you a few bottles of Kyodophilus. What else did you need? You are stupendous!! I am so glad you are my sister!!! I love you!

8/13/2006 5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home