Jodi's Alaskan Trails

My time in "bush" Alaska has proven to be fun, exciting and a learning experience all at the same time. Here are a few journallings of what I have been doing the last few years.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

First Dance = Official Guskimo

I had to wait ALL night and finally it was my turn to dance. I so badly wanted to dance the whole night but couldn't so I went and hid in the back room and danced to the songs I liked. Here, the drummers brought all of my stuff from the back room to the hall and the placed it all on a tarp. This is RoseAnn introducing me to everyone and telling them my Yupik name and a little bit about me. RoseAnn let everyone know I had a cousin Tessie who was not from Minnesota. But we adopted each other as relatives. Just waiting for my song to start....... Here, I'm making a pizza...... Drinking some pop..... and speaking like a miner........ only I try not to have such fowl language.

The video does more justice so you can see how hard I can shake. My song is an old song that has been adapted to current food. A person from St. Michael made it when they first learned to speak like the miners did. You know, St. Michael used to be a very large place, I think about the size of Nome. Anyways, I will bring home a copy of the whole night's dancing and festivities. Otherwise, you could check and see if my mom has a copy that you could watch.

"Pamyua" (that is the Yupik word for again. Saturday night when I danced, people kept on saying that over and over and over and over again. I was pretty sweaty by the time they let me stop dancing!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home