Jodi's Alaskan Trails

My time in "bush" Alaska has proven to be fun, exciting and a learning experience all at the same time. Here are a few journallings of what I have been doing the last few years.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Seal Hooks and Smiles!!!!

I had forgotten the beauty of a sunset over Stebbins. Dale and I went out to pick blackberries and I made him stop half way to take this picture. It looked much more beautiful than the picture shows. I made my first loaf of homemade bread that was yeast free as the store has no yeast....thank goodness for Bobbi Jo and Pete, they are saving the day and sending me some.




The recipe is as follows:
3 1/2 cups self rising flour
3 teaspoons sugar
1 12oz can of lemon lime soda

mix dry ingredients
add the soda
grease a 9x5 pan and put mixture in the pan
bake at 350 for 45 minutes
it will look like a biscuit and isn't supposed to brown well
it is a thicker bread but it tasted pretty good.






Dale had to inspect this yeast free loaf of bread to see if it compared to his grandma and mom's, and if it looked edible.







Dale is a pretty cleaver guy. He needed a hook to help him get his seal in the boat. So he found a snowmobile ski and converted it into this seal hook. It is basically a gigantic fish hook that will support the weight of a seal. Then Dale, Lenny and I decided to test it out. Unfortunately, the seal Lenny caught sunk so we didn't get to test it out. Dale almost caught a seal but it had good lungs and was a fast swimmer. We lost him somewhere up river.







This is my garage that Dale worked on his seal hook in. This is a pretty fancy garage huh!! I don't think the builder needed roller skates to build it though!!!!






Here, Lenny was waiting for his seal to come back up so he could harpoon it...........he never surfaced but doesn't this look like a typical "Eskimo" picture you would see in a book?












Dale and Lenny gave up on seal hunting and decided to eat lunch and then hint birds and site in Lenny's new gun. Yes, they were doing that from the top of a house on the banks of a river in the middle of no where.










Dale I took a ride.........here we are!!!!!!!










The new school is well under way. My classroom will be in this wing, right on the end on the right side. I know, you can't tell.








An areal view of where the new school will be. It actually will be on the old airstrip. it is on the right side of the picture about half way. There is a line of white things with a spot in the middle. This picture was before the started building.
Here is an areal view of St. Michael. It is a lot more spread out that Stebbins and takes a little longer to get from one end of town to the other. I used to live in a tiny house by the school, that you can't see and now I live on the upper left side of the picture. The beach in St. Michael is littered with old steam boats that washed ashore and were stranded there. It is kind of hard to drive down the beach and not run into some part of an old ship. Here is part that was washed ashore.














This is a cute little old house that overlooks the bay in St. Michael. You could also see Canal from here.....the river that makes us an island.











Dale tried to catch a swan one day.......he wanted swan soup. He touched it but didn't catch it. You can kind of see the swan on the right side of the picture.Dale's grandma got a leg of moose that the Katcheaks caught. Here Dale and her are cutting it up!And finally, the AWESOME moon we had a few nights back. This picture was taken out of my living room window at 12pm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home