Ulapa - That's how I spell the Yupik word that means COLD!!
Dale and I.......boy aren't we cute???? He is getting less and less scared to get his picture taken, soon you may see his whole body instead of just his face. Give him time, he will warm up to the camera.
I have been trying to grow my first garden. Yes, in Alaska and of course not outside. I thought it would be fun to grow some fresh vegetables so I had Dale make me a couple of flower boxes to grow them in. In the back, are tomato plants, in the brown pot are green peppers and the flower to the right is my Christmas cactus which still hasn't bloomed. When I successfully grow vegetables indoors, in the winter, in Alaska, I will be sure to post some pictures.
It has been EXTREMELY COLD here......this is Dale, do you recognize him? We are pretty much having to bundle up now. The region has had consistent -30 degree temperatures but, I don't feel too bad, Barrow, Alaska was -67 this morning at 8am BUUUURRRRRRRRR!!! We have also had some pretty strong winds with gusts up to 60 mph. That was scary. But, again, I don't feel too bad, Gambell and Savoonga, Alaska have that kind of wind and stronger all the time. I only had to deal with for a couple of weeks.
As you all know, we must weigh EVERYTHING before we get on our little puddle jumpers to get back to the village from Anchorage or Nome. Well, Lori had to account for her little guy, Brock, as well. so, she just put him on the luggage scale and found out his weight!! He is still less than 10 pounds I think. 
"Dashing through the snow, in a one horsed open .........helicopter????" That's right, Santa comes to St. Michael via helicopter. I think the strong winds and frigid temperatures may be too much for the reindeer......wait, we have reindeer here. Santa's reindeer must be whimpy!

Operation Santa made it's way to St. Michael this year, bringing presents to all the kids who were good and attended school that day! Operation Santa is sponsored by the National Guard....Go guard. Not only are they protecting our freedom but they are also spreading Christmas cheer to the remote village of the U.S. too!!
Some lucky kids got to be interviewed by teh KNOM staff. KNOM is the radio station in Nome that we can listen to in the village.
All the kids had to wait to see Santa.....notice the first graders had their letters ready to give to him.
And of course, we had our annual Christmas program. The first graders were all reindeer singing "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer." The back-drop to the program was the door decorations all the teachers had on their classroom doors. Mine is the plain greed present in the middle.
I hope this post finds everyone healthy and happy this holiday season. I will not be traveling home for Christmas but will be spending it with Dale and his family. I hope God blesses your family and keeps you safe. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!
-Jodi

3 Comments:
Hey Jodi,
It is about time. We wondered if you froze up there or if you were done blogging. HAHAHA!! I love the pictures of the Guard bringing Santa. Hope you have a nice Christmas with Dale. Love you, Bobbi Jo
Your kids are soooooooooo cute!!! So who is the teacher that had a Happy Birthday Jesus door?
Hey Jodes,
Glad to see the update... about time for another one I'd say! By the way, Brock weighed in at just under 15 pounds that day... hate to guess what he is now! Love ya girl!
Post a Comment
<< Home